Monday, October 24, 2011

Upcycling Picture Frames with Maps


From my fun with maps last week I had all sorts of map scraps and full pages laying around my desk.  I remembered seeing this on Pinterest and wanted to and make some of my own. 

This is the perfect project for me right now because:
1. Our new apartment is smaller than our last AND
2. I damaged quite a few frames during the move...

These would be a really cute frames for pictures from favorite vacations or special places!  

For this project you will need:
Old maps or an atlas
Paintbrush
Frame-- old, damaged, ugly, or thrifted frames work great!
Mod Podge or Gel Medium

  1. Cut or rip your map to the dimensions needed to wrap around the front, bottom, and back (optional) of the frame.  I covered the front lip of the frame so the map goes right up to the glass.  
  2. Apply a coat of Mod Podge or Gel Medium to the surface of the frame you are about to cover.  Apply some to the back of your map piece as well and press the map to the frame.  
  3. For the inside corners- cut a diagonal snip to the corner and fold the pieces down towards the inside of the frame.  
  4. For outside corners- fold them down just like you are wrapping a holiday present!  Instead of taping the corners paint on some of the adhesive you are working with.  
Tips:
  • Use gloves!  I have a wild surplus of medical gloves from John's surgery. I found myself working on my frames a little bit at a time- so the gloves cut down on the mess and also was easier to not smudge the wet map paper.  
  • If you are creating with bare fingers-- wash your hands often! 
  • Use magnet clips and hang your frames on the refrigerator while you wait for them to dry!  This allows you to let your project dry while all of its' sides are wet!  
  • Save your favorite pieces for last.  The pieces of map that were touched the most while applying the gel medium can get a little funky.  Sometimes dry crusty residue from gel that dries on your fingers can be transfered to your piece.  (I found using gloves cut down on the dry flakes.)  If your piece gets a little funky, just apply another layer of map onto your frame. Just enough to cover the blemish.  Adding extra pieces can add a fun layered look to your frame!  


I made three frames!  

Fun, tropical places
Porcupine Mountains- for my brother.  This is our special camping place! 
Colorado-- one of my very favorite places!  

If you try your hand at one- put up a picture of your work on the blog or @MisterGandMe on twitter!  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Fashion Trend © 2011 | All Rights Reserved | About | Privacy Policy | Contact | Sitemap