Wednesday, January 11, 2012

DIY Patio Paradise: Outdoor Crafting Space

Big news!  I have a new outdoor craft space!!

John had the great idea to build a patio for our side yard.  I must admit, I wasn't keen on the idea at first-- but he was right.  It was a great idea!

Let me also say that I never thought of John or myself to be DIY patio builders.  So if the first thought in your mind is "I would never" or "I couldn't"-- you can!  
The process is a little muddy, so excuse the dirty patio floor... It hasn't rained in at least a week and I can't wait any longer to share my new space!   

Here is how we built it:

Concrete Squares
Bow Rake
8" Tamper 
Baby Shovel
Mulch
Plants
Potting Soil

This is an iPhone pic of what the side yard looked like before the transformation.

Our Process:

We used the bow rake to dig up the grass.  We are renting our house-- and the grass wasn't very nice!  We used the back of the bow rake to smooth the dirt.  

Then we used the tamper to level the earth and placed a cement square on the even ground. 

It takes a long time to rake, smooth, level, and place a whole patio space-- but it's worth it!  Take your time.   

note: If we were going to live here for longer than a lease or two, we definitely would have spent more time creating a professionally flat surface using sand.  You can google "how to use sand to lay pavers".  It creates a much more even surface for the cement slabs.  It's up to you how much time and effort you want to invest.  

In total, it took about 4 trips to Home Depot for the cement squares.  They are about 30 pounds a piece and we couldn't fit more than about 15 in our trunk!  Drink a lot of water and don't over-do it! 

After you lay all of your cement squares and are happy with how they look, it's time to plant your plants!  This was my favorite part! 

 We bought baby palms, hibiscus, snapdragons, funky long grasses, and assorted flowers for our space. 
After you plant your flowers and plants you can spread mulch around them.  The mulch helps keep the soil retain water and keep your plants happy.  

I know a lot of you live in cold climates-- but hopefully this post will inspire you and you will be ready come spring to build your patio paradise!  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Fashion Trend © 2011 | All Rights Reserved | About | Privacy Policy | Contact | Sitemap