Thursday, December 8, 2011

Old Journal Face Lift

I always get so excited when I buy a new notebook.  I usually write in it for a few pages, forget about it entirely, and buy another new and exciting notebook.  In an attempt to be green (and frugal), I have decided to not buy anymore notebooks until I use up my old ones.

I've been having the itch lately for new notebooks-- but I'm sticking to my resolution.  Maybe if I give my journals a pretty facelift I won't be so tempted to go buy a new one.

Here is a tutorial for a fun way to jazz up your notebook!

You will need:

Journal
Fabric
Glue, Mod Podge, or Golden Gel Medium
Paint
Paint Brush
Stencil
Sponge or pouncer
Scissors
Ribbon

1. Cut your fabric to fit the cover of your journal.  I added an inch on each side to wrap the fabric around to the inside of the cover.

2.  Paint your adhesive medium to the cover.  Lay your fabric on top and smooth it down.  If you are wrapping the fabric to the inside, paint a strip of adhesive medium to the inside cover as well.  Let it dry completely.

3.  Cut out space for the binding.  Then use your adhesive to adhere your fabric to the back of your journal, and tuck the edges inside against the back cover-- just like you did on the front.  

4.  If you like the look of your fabric covered journal-- you're done!  
5.  If not, keep working!  Pick out a stencil.  Remember my Martha Hurricane Holiday Vase project?  I used the rose stencil from the Four Seasons stencil kit and layered the rose pattern.  Then I used my gel medium to adhere a ribbon to the bottom.  
6.  Wait for it to dry.  My ribbon was white and looked funny after being glued so I painted it a light blue.  Your old journal is new and beautiful and you can love it once more, filling its pages with your best ideas!  

Thanks for stopping by my blog today!  I would love to see your fancy new journals!  Post pictures of your work on Mister G's Facebook page or on Twitter @MisterGandMe.  Be sure to check out my Etsy Shop too! :)  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Fashion Trend © 2011 | All Rights Reserved | About | Privacy Policy | Contact | Sitemap