Thursday, April 19, 2012

DIY Laundry Soap: Eco-friendly and Cheap!!!

With Earth Day right around the corner, I keep thinking about ways I can go easier on the Earth.  Lucky for me-- DIY projects and frugality are very green pursuits!   Today I am sharing how to make your own laundry detergent.  Be sure to stay tuned this week-- I have a couple more green DIY projects lined up for you!

My husband has really sensitive skin and most detergents make him break out into a crazy rash.  His dermatologist said to only use a detergent that he knows won't irritate his skin and use it every time--no exceptions!  Several "natural" fragrance free/dye free detergents even irritate his skin.  Seventh Generation Fragrance/Dye Free is John's favorite-- but it's so expensive!

My friend Jackie found a recipe to make your own detergent.  The recipe yields 10 gallons (!!!) and only costs about 20 cents per gallon!   It's a fun project to make with a friend and split your bounty.  
This recipe makes 10 gallons!  Think about it-- that's 10 plastic jugs that you're not consuming!

I have used my DIY detergent in a few loads so far and have been really impressed!  I've been sniffing my clothes as I take them out of the machine for quality control.  I'm happy to report my clothes are smelling mighty fresh and clean!  Click here for directions to make your own detergent.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Fashion Trend © 2011 | All Rights Reserved | About | Privacy Policy | Contact | Sitemap