Friday, November 4, 2011

Adventures in My New Town

Yesterday I went on my first "adventure" in my new town!  I've had a few adventures since I moved here-- but today was the first time I set out to find some.  I packed my camera and a lunch and set off on my bike for the state park.  I had to cross a LONG bridge!  See the water below the grate?  It was so scary and the cars were driving so fast right next to me.  My tires are pretty skinny so I was a little freaked!  On my way home I broke the rules and rode on the walking bridge!
About a minute after I entered the state park I met a Gopher Tortoise.  I thought there was a rumor going around that tortoises are slow creatures... Not the case!  My friend was  absolutely cruising!  I had no time to get out my camera and was wise to snap a quick shot with my iPhone!  He was on a mission to get where he was going-- even eating grass on the go!
The park was beautiful!  So many plants I've never seen before!  Many of the plants reminded me of plants from the Midwest-- like this one below.  This tree reminded me of "lambs ear" but on a tropical looking tree!  Anyone know what kind of tree this is?
 Even the bees look different!  This fancy bee had a metallic sheen to his upper carriage.  
 
The park is sandwiched between the Atlantic Ocean and the Intercoastal Waterway.  I had never heard of the Intercoastal before moving down here!  According to Wikipedia, "The Intracoastal Waterway is a 3,000-mile (4,800-km) waterway along the Atlantic and Gulf coasts of the United States. Some lengths consist of natural inlets, salt-water rivers, bays, and sounds; others are artificial canals. It provides a navigable route along its length without many of the hazards of travel on the open sea."
After some biking and some hiking (walking really... but hiking just rolls off the tongue here) I was ready for some lunch!  I found a picnic table under a shady tree next to the Intercoastal.  I watched the boats going up and down the waterway.  A big tour boat went by and I wondered if I give off a tourist vibe or if people think I'm local.  
On my ride home I took some time to enjoy this flowering tree!
Mister G was so excited to see me when I got home!  We played in the yard and I filled him in on my adventure.  I promised to take him to the state park once I get a car down here.  He's going to love it.  I know he will!  


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Fashion Trend © 2011 | All Rights Reserved | About | Privacy Policy | Contact | Sitemap